Companies we partner with in this space: Cisco, Meraki, Extreme Networks, and others.
What Is Network Security?
Chances are, when you leave the office at the end of the day you turn on the alarm system and lock the door to protect your office and its equipment. It is also likely that you have a safe or locking file cabinet for storing confidential business documents.
Your computer network requires the same kind of protection.
Network security technologies protect your network against the theft and misuse of confidential business information and guards against malicious attacks from Internet-borne viruses and worms. Without network security in place your company risks unauthorized intrusions, network downtime, service disruption, regulatory noncompliance and even legal action.
How security works
Network security does not rely on one method, but uses a set of barriers that defend your business in different ways. Even if one solution fails, others still stand, guarding your company and its data from a wide variety of network attacks.
Layers of security on your network mean that the valuable information you rely on to conduct business is available to you and protected from threats. Specifically, network security:
- Protects against internal and external network attacks. Threats can originate both inside and outside the four walls of your business. An effective security system monitors all network activity, flags aberrant behavior and makes the appropriate response.
- Ensures privacy of all communications, at any place at any time. Employees can access the network from home or on the road with the assurance their communications remain private and protected.
- Controls access to information by accurately identifying users and their systems. Businesses can set their own rules around data access. Denial or approval can be granted based on user identities, job function or other business-specific criteria.
- Makes you more reliable. Since security technologies let your system prevent known attacks and adapt to new threats, employees, customers and business partners can be confident their information remains secure.
How Businesses Use Security Technologies
Network security has become a requirement for businesses, especially those that rely on the Internet. Your customers, vendors and business partners probably expect you to protect any information they share with you.
While network security has almost become a prerequisite to running a business, it also pays off in multiple ways. Here are some of the benefits businesses gain from a secured network:
- Privacy is assured
- Collaboration is encouraged
A strong security stance assures customers that sensitive information, such as credit card numbers or confidential business details, will not be accessed and exploited. Your business partners will feel more confident sharing data such as sales forecasts or pre-release product plans. In addition, the same technologies that keep intruders out can give your partners secure access to information on your network, helping you collaborate and work together more effectively.
- Secure access on the road
- Promotes productivity while out of the office
Strong network security lets your employees safely access your network from the road or from home without introducing viruses or other threats. Secure, convenient network access means that employees can use critical information when they need it, making them more productive when they’re away from their desks.
- Less time wasted on spam
- Better employee morale and collaboration
An effective network security program can boost productivity across your organization. Employees spend less time on non-productive tasks such as sifting through spam or dealing with viruses. Your network and your Internet connection remain safe, ensuring you and your employees have regular access to the Internet and e-mail.
- Service disruption is avoided
- Advanced services safely evolve
Network downtime is costly to all types of businesses. By ensuring your network and your Internet connection are safely up and running, you can be sure that customers can reach you when they need you. Effective security allows your business to add new services and applications without disrupting the performance of your network. Taking a proactive approach to safeguarding your data ensures your business remains up and running when it needs to be.
As your company grows, its networking needs will change. Establishing a strong, secure network today will allow your company to add advanced features such as secured wireless networking or voice and conferencing.
Contact Technology Mumbo Jumbo for a network security evaluation. We will help you see what is right with your network and what needs tweaked to make your business assets as secure as possible.