Why Go Wireless
Every minute counts in a small company and wireless networks are a powerful tool for boosting productivity and encouraging information sharing. With untethered access to documents, emails, applications and other network resources, employees can roam where they need to and have constant access to the tools required to do their jobs.
Here are some of the ways businesses are taking advantage of wireless LANs:
Increased mobility and collaboration
- Roam without losing your connection
- Work together more effectively
Employees who use your wireless LAN can roam around your office or to different floors without losing their connection. Imagine everyone in a team meeting or in small conferences having access to up-to-the minute communications, and all documents and applications on your network. Similarly, using Voice over Wireless LAN technology, they can have roaming capabilities in their voice communications.
- Connect to the information you need when you need it
- Provide better customer service
Customers want quick response to queries and concerns. A wireless network can improve customer service by connecting staff to the information they need. For example, a doctor in a small medical office can access online patient files while moving between exam rooms, or a retail sales person can check on available inventory necessary to write up orders on the showroom floor.
Better access to information
- Connect hard-to-reach areas
- Improve your processes
Wireless LANs allow a business to bring network access to areas that would be difficult to connect to a wired network. For example, adding wireless access points to a warehouse can make it easier to check and manage inventory, providing the company with accurate inventory figures in real time.
Easier network expansion
- Add users quickly
- Grow your network cost-effectively
Companies that need to add employees or reconfigure offices frequently will immediately benefit from the flexibility wireless LANs provide. Desks can be moved and new employees can be added to the network without the effort and cost required to run cables and wires.
Enhanced guest access
- Give secure network access to customers and business partners
- Offer a value-added service
A wireless network allows your business to provide secure wireless access to the Internet for guests such as customers or business partners. Retailers, restaurants, hotels and other public-facing businesses can provide this as a unique value-added service.
Securing Your Wireless Network
- Use WPA Encryption — preferably WPA2
- Use the Enterprise version of WPA/WPA2
- Secure Ethernet Ports
- Use Extra Encryption (VPNs)
- Don’t Connect to Other Networks
- Separate Traffic with VLANs
- Secure Shared Folders and NAS Devices
- Verify Firewalls
- Use MAC Address Filtering
- Disable SSID Broadcasting
- Keep Hardware Updated
- Keep Wi-Fi Signals Contained
Contact Technology Mumb Jumbo today to discuss ways to implement secure wireless network to protect your valuable data.